The Runner's Refreshment
A man runs n times round a circular track whose radius is t miles. He drinks s quarts of beer for every mile that he runs. Prove that he will only need one quart!
As the radius is t, the diameter is 2t. The diameter multiplied by π (the Greek letter pi) gives us the circumference, 2tπ miles. As he goes round n times, 2tπn equals the number of miles run, and, as he drinks s quarts per mile, he consumes 2tπns quarts. We can put the factors in any order: therefore the answer is 2πnts (two pints) or one quart.
• The Birth Of Boadicea (Difficulty: 4)
• Apple Transactions (Difficulty: 2)
• More Bicycling (Difficulty: 4)
• Mistaking The Hands (Difficulty: 3)
• Finding A Birthday (Difficulty: 4)
• Dividing The Legacy (Difficulty: 2)
• The Seven Applewomen (Difficulty: 4)
• Their Ages (Difficulty: 2)